The Institutional Onboarding app demonstrates how an important process within Financial Services can be fully digitalized in a user-friendly way. This is done by leveraging the speed and agility of building apps with Mendix and smart connectors to accelerate the onboarding process and enrich customer data.
Institutional Onboarding is a process in which a business (also known as a commercial/corporate customer) is onboarded at a Financial Services company like a bank. This usually is a complex, multi-step process that requires lots of physical paperwork to be filled in, by both the customer and the financial institutions’ Relationship Manager. The process usually lacks cross organizational transparency and takes a long time to complete because of strict regulatory requirements.
The Institutional Onboarding app offers the Relationship Manager a streamlined, fully digital experience to quickly onboard an institutional customer and guide them through the steps of the process, including company details, products and services selection, authorizations and ending with a digitally signed DocuSign contract, completing the standard onboarding process.
The application enables a Relationship Manager to fully digitally complete the onboarding process for their new customer. Including;
- Onboarding Overview: Quick overview of the current onboarding process steps and their completion status.
- Business Profile Information Gathering: Includes Company Registration Number check (Employer ID Number (US) and KVK-number (NL)).
- Product & Services Overview: Smart selection of Products and Services based on annual turnover and headcount.
- Authorizations: Registration of Authorized users, their roles and the security measures.
- Signees & Contracts: Digital signing of a contract through DocuSign.
This app contains 2 user roles:
- Administrator – Technical and Functional administration, only use during initial setup
- Can manage Master Data
- Can manage Docusign configuration
Can manage accounts
- Relationship Manager – Main user role of the application
Can create and manage onboarding records
All entities have a description in the domain model in Mendix Studio Pro.
Typical usage scenario
- Use as a reference project for your own implementation of institutional onboarding
- Use to see how we've built and implemented several smart connectors
- Mendix Studio Pro 9.18.2 or higher
To install the mpk, simply import it as an app package into Mendix Studio Pro.
To use the EIN Connector and KvK connector, make sure you set the following constants:
You can order an API key via the KvK developer portal and you can request an EIN security token via the HIPAASpace website. The app will still work without these API keys though.
Make sure you are signed up for a DocuSign Developer Account (register at https://go.docusign.com/o/sandbox/)
The easiest way to complete your DocuSign setup is to follow the DocuSign configuration wizard. Login as a functional admin to automatically start this configuration wizard. The steps are also described below.
- Click on DocuSign – Start the Initial Configuration and click on Setup Now. This will guide you through the DocuSign configuration process in a Mendix wizard form.
- Create a DocuSign account at https://go.docusign.com/o/sandbox/ (or login to an existing developer account)
- Under Settings → Apps and Keys, add a new app and give it a memorable name
- Scroll down to Service Integration. Click on Generate RSA, copy the private key and paste it into the private key input field in the wizard (step 3)
- Add a redirect URI http://localhost:8080/auth/docusign/callback (Assuming that’s your application root URL) and click on save
- In step 5 of the wizard add the following two variables
- User ID: In Docusign navigate to Settings / Apps and Keys / Under my account information → copy the User ID, paste it into the relevant field in the wizard
- DocusignIntegrationKey: In Docusign navigate to Settings / Apps and Keys / Apps and Integration Keys section → copy the integration key for the App, paste it into the relevant field in the wizard
- Go to Templates and click on New → create template and give the template a logical name
- Upload a one page contract.
- Under recipients, fill in the field Role with ‘Signee’. The other 2 fields can stay empty. This recipient ‘needs to sign’
- Under Email Subject fill a logical subject, for instance: “Please sign the contract”
- Under the Email Message fill a logical message, for instance: “Please sign the composed contract with docusign via the 'review document' button.“ and click on Next.
- Add standard fields Full name, Date signed and Signature at the relevant place.
- Save and close; copy the template id, you’ll need it later
- In step 7 add the following variables:
- Template ID: the Template ID you just copied in the relevant input field
- Account ID: Go back to settings -> apps and keys and copy the API Account ID in the My account information section
- Click on DocuSign – Setup Authorization and thereafter click on the Authorize button. After this the authorization is generated that is needed for the Docusign connector.
- If this does not work straight away, try to re-run your app. This usually will resolve any caching issues
- Click on Docusign – Configuration Overview and navigate to the Template tab. Loading the page could take a few seconds. The template you just created should now be visible in this Template overview.
- Docusign is now setup and you are good to go!
We've included some demo data into our app so that you can use it straight away. This demo data is generated in the after start-up flow. If you want to reset the demo data then login as an MxAdmin, click on the demo data link on the dashboard and then click on Reset Demo Data.
If you want to remove the demo data functionality from your project, please take the following steps:
- Delete the module DemoData_JSON
- Resolve the errors that occur in the microflows (by deleting the dependent demo data microflows)
- Onboarding_Create → remove microflow call
- NAV_Homepage_Administrator → remove microflow call and split decision
- Remove the link to DemoData_Overview from the Admin dashboard
- Update security
- Replace or remove the after start-up microflow